Thread: Win7 Stuff
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #22
Doz
Maniac Drummer

If you have Window updates ON <<< Playing with fire

Step 1: In Windows 7, click Start > Documents, then hold down the Alt key, click Tools > Folder Options > View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, choose the button to "Show hidden files, folders and drives.(While you're there, uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types)

Step 2. See if the payload is on your PC. In either Win7 or 8.1, navigate to the C: drive (or whichever drive you use to boot Windows), look for a file called $Windows.~BT and if you find it, right-click on it and choose Properties. If the folder's only a few hundred megabytes in size, breathe a sigh of relief -- the resident alien isn't yet on your PC. But if it's around the 5GB to 6GB mark, you have almost the whole enchilada sitting there ready to upgrade your PC.

Don't try to delete the folder yet. If you have $Windows.~BT and try to delete it through normal means, you'll quickly discover that Windows won't let you -- it's being held by a trusted installer. If you delete it and don't go to extraordinary lengths to block the installer, you'll find it's re-installed, automatically, by Microsoft.

Step 3. Carefully consider whether you want to turn Automatic Update back on. I've been railing against Windows Automatic Update for almost a decade, and there are people inside Microsoft who think of me as the devil incarnate because of my stance. Bah. If you're sophisticated enough to be reading this post, you're sophisticated enough to check from time to time to see if it's safe to install Microsoft's patches (hint: watch AskWoody.com).

If you decide to turn Automatic Update back on, be very aware of the fact that Microsoft might download another version of the same nagware, perhaps using a different KB number. All it takes is a new Recommended patch with the same obnoxious behavior to put you back in your current mess.

To turn Automatic Update back on, reverse the items in Step 1.

As far as I know, that's the easiest, most thorough way to get the Windows 10 crap off your Windows 7 or 8.1 PC. I have no idea what the brass at Microsoft were thinking last weekend when they pushed that payload down the Automatic Update chute.

The lesson is quite simple: If you have Automatic Update turned on, Microsoft owns your PC, and it can and will install anything it likes.

Source info
http://www.infoworld.com/article/298...-or-81-pc.html

Doz is offline   Reply With Quote