View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Doz
Maniac Drummer

Default Tips for healing a damaged uvula after surgery

Tips for healing a damaged uvula after surgery

by Pennie Mills

Post surgery…you think the worst is over. Instead you have one more painful annoyance to deal with, that thing located in the middle of the back of your throat is stretched to more than twice its size, it is swollen and so sore. When you look at it with a flashlight, it looks all mangled and distorted, you are sure you will need another surgery to fix it! Your uvulaConsult with the nurse or Dr. and don’t panic, it will heal, I promise, I have some helpful tips for you…
has somehow been damaged via the breathing tube during surgery.
If your uvula is damaged, then you most likely have a very sore throat too. For several days up to a week a more, until your symptoms diminish you will want to:

Talk as little as possible
, this helps greatly, especially in the beginning. My uvula definitely felt more bothersome and more swollen after I would talk. I spoke very little for 4-5 days.

Drink ice water
and lots of it, the ice helps to sooth the throat and uvula. This will also help if your uvula is stretched so much so that it makes you gag and cough, which is not good for the uvula. The ice water helps to sort of numb it.

Eat a soft, low acid, low sugar, bland diet
and avoid very hot foods. I do not consume dairy, but I would say to avoid most of that as well and any other mucus producing food and beverages.

Gargle with warm salt water
several times a day and always after eating or drinking something other than water.

Sleep on your back
if you can.

Meditate
, listen to relaxing, soothing music to help take your mind elsewhere.

Get as much rest as you can
!
I hope you feel better soon

Please share this info and make sure the Surgical team understand to not screw up with your throat. It is very painful.

Being a Husband it tears me up inside when I see my Love hurting

Doz is offline   Reply With Quote