Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Doz
Maniac Drummer

Default Homemade Echinacea Tincture

Homemade Echinacea Tincture
August 13, 2010
By Pennie Mills

Herbal Tinctures
Now is the time to start gathering supplies for our winter herbal tinctures, like echinacea. I myself need to make another batch this year. It is so easy, extremely cost-effective and when you make it yourself, you know exactly what you are getting.

What is an echinacea tincture used for? Echinacea is an herb and It can be used for a variety of ailments, but here we are using it for treating and reducing cold and flu symptoms. It stimulates the immune system, and helps fight off viruses and harmful bacteria. If you feel a cold coming on, that is the time you should begin taking it.
I also use the tincture as a preventative, by this I mean, if I am going to an event (especially around cold & flu season) which involves many other people I take the echinacea tincture before hand and afterwords too. Not everyone believes in the effectiveness of the tincture used as a preventative, yet at the same time, many others do and it does seem to have been effective for me.
Herbs do come with precautions, be sure to research and gather all the information you can and consult with an herbalist before taking them orally. Echinacea should be used with caution if you are allergic to ragweed, which I am allergic to. The key-word is caution, I have no problems what so ever, but someone else may indeed have a negative reaction. Herbs may contain highly effective medicinal properties, use caution as you would with any type of supplement or medication.

Making the Tincture

You can use Echinacea Angustifolia Root or Echinacea Purpurea Herb or a combination of both. The root is more expensive but you can use less, I have made tinctures with just the root and also tinctures with a combination of the two, both worked well for me.
If you are using just the root, take 4 ounces of the dried root, add to a clean sterile quart glass jar, fill the jar almost to the top with 80 or 100 proof vodka, cap tightly, label and date the jar. I use organic grape alcohol by Alchemical Soulutions, which is vegan, I personally checked with the company. You can also find a list of vegan vodkas at Bamivore Store in a cool dark place like your pantry or kitchen cupboard and shake daily for the first week, then every few days after that for about 8 weeks. If you are using the Purpurea or a combination of both, fill your jar half full with the dried herbs, then add the vodka, cap, date, etc. Use a cheesecloth to strain and bottle, a dropper bottle is most convenient. This amount will last quite a long time, so feel free to make smaller batches if you like, by adjusting the ingredients appropriately. I usually give away a few bottles too.
Dosage

“I” take a dropper full under the tongue one to three times a day as needed. This is not to be taken every single day; you only take it when you need it. I can only speak for myself, but I have been using it for so long that I just know when to start taking it and when to stop taking it. Warning-it tastes terrible and I never “get used” to the taste, I just put up with it because it works! When my husband needs to take it, he adds it to a small glass of water or juice.
If this is new for you, do your research, Google it and please consult with the herbalist where you are buying your herbs from. It is very possible that you can purchase a small dropper bottle there as well.

Please consult with your health care professional if you are taking any medications or other herbal supplements, have any illnesses or medical conditions.

Cheers to good health!

Doz is offline   Reply With Quote