Forums | Albums | Social Groups

Go Back   UGL - We live the Unreal Life! > Main Forums > HEALTH INFO

HEALTH INFO Health info to help you

Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Doz
Maniac Drummer

Default Symptoms of Alzheimer's & Dementia

Recognizing the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease

When a person is suffering from Alzheimer's disease, abnormal changes are taking place in the brain. In Alzheimer's disease, the parts of the brain that control thinking, memory, and language no longer work properly and symptoms start to appear. An accurate diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease offers the best opportunity to start treatments that can help slow the progression of symptoms.
The following chart can help you recognize some of the common signs and symptoms of moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease.

http://www.namenda.com/About/Symptom...guid=327223883

For research
http://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/...ers/index.aspx

More info here
http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_diseas...alzheimers.asp

Doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Doz
Maniac Drummer

Info on Dementia that can affect memory, good judgment, along with a list of many other factors. Should see a doctor for more information really.

Info Here
http://www.alz.org/what-is-dementia.asp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001748/

http://www.healthline.com/search?tli...c4c16909e3f754

Note my father had Dementia and on his last day did not recognize me, until I played my guitar.

More info
Dementia usually occurs in people aged sixty years or older. In fact, the risk for dementia increases as we age. Symptoms of dementia include impaired memory, difficulty with thinking skills, language, poor judgment, and behavioral problems. In most cases, dementia is incurable and cannot be reversed.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Doz
Maniac Drummer

Moderate drinkers were 23 percent less likely to develop dementia, Alzheimer's disease and other forms of "cognitive impairment," a phrase used to describe a decline in thinking skills. Moderate drinking is generally defined as a maximum of two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women.

On the other hand, heavy drinking (more than three to five drinks per day) was associated with a higher risk of dementia and cognitive impairment, but the researchers said this finding was not statistically significant.

"We don't recommend that nondrinkers start drinking. But moderate drinking -- if it is truly moderate -- can be beneficial," study co-author Edward J. Neafsey, a professor in the department of molecular pharmacology and therapeutics, said in a Loyola University Medical Center news release.

Wine appeared more beneficial than beer or spirits, but that finding was based on a relatively small number of studies, the study authors noted.

The researchers said the protective effect of moderate drinking remained after they factored in age, education, sex and smoking, and that the effects of alcohol were the same in men and women.

They also noted that the association between moderate drinking and reduced risk of dementia and cognitive impairment was statistically significant in 14 of 19 countries, including the United States.

Still, experts in neurological health weren't entirely sold on the findings.

"This study was well-designed and well-executed but falls in the category of epidemiology [population wide, observational studies]," said Dr. Sam Gandy, chair in Alzheimer's Disease Research and professor of neurology at the Mount Sinai Alzheimer's Disease Research Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City. "There are at least a dozen reports such as this, touting the beneficial neurological effects of alcohol. Each report brings calls and visits from patients, interested in what advice they can take away and apply to their own lives."

Gandy said that proof that moderate drinking helps curb dementia rates could only come from a prospective, randomized clinical trial -- something that hasn't happened yet. "Until there are some randomized clinical trial data, no patient guidance is warranted," he said.

Another expert agreed. Dr. James Galvin, director of the Pearl Barlow Center for Memory Evaluation and Treatment at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City, said that there is growing evidence of a beneficial effect of moderate drinking on dementia, but "we should not rush out to buy bottles of Merlot, Cabernet or Pinot just yet."

And he added that the brain-healthy effects of moderate drinking noted in studies might just be a marker for an overall healthy lifestyle. "The Mediterranean diet with whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables, olive oil and moderate red wine also reduces the risk of dementia, as does exercise, social engagement, mental activities and an optimistic outlook on life," Galvin said. "It is clear that heart healthy behaviors are also brain healthy behaviors."

For their part, the researchers said that it's not clear why moderate drinking may reduce the risk of dementia and cognitive impairment, but one premise suggests that alcohol might improve blood flow in the brain and thus brain metabolism, the researchers said. And they offered up another theory, that small amounts of alcohol may make brain cells more fit by slightly stressing them and increasing their ability to cope with major levels of stress that can eventually cause dementia.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Doz
Maniac Drummer

You may be able to lower your risk of Alzheimer's disease, if you incorporate some special foods into your diet, according to a new book."Power Foods for the Brain: An Effective Three Step Plan to Protect Your Mind and Strengthen Your Memory."

"There's nothing more frightening than losing your memory and your connections. Most people have thought, well, it's just part of aging and I'm going to spend the last five or 10 years of my life not knowing anybody," said Dr. Neal Barnard, author of "Power Foods for the Brain: An Effective Three Step Plan to Protect Your Mind and Strengthen Your Memory." "The beautiful news is we now know what seems to be triggering that so that we can avoid it."

He advises that there are many foods to avoid, including avoiding trans-fats and saturated fats. These fats are not only bad for your heart, but can increase your chance for Alzheimer's 300 to 500 percent for those who eat the most. He also suggests avoiding using certain metals in cookware.

Number of Alzheimer's patients could triple by 2050

"If you have a cast iron pan, over time it will rust. That's oxidation, and that happens to the metals that get into your body. So you need a trace of iron for healthy blood cells, but iron builds up in the brain and oxidizes," explains Barnard, a nutrition researcher at George Washington University. "That releases free radicals, and destroys brain cells. So a stainless steel pan is better than a cast iron pan."

However, there are also many foods that actually help ward off the disease. Barnard suggests eating large amounts of dark berries and leafy greens, as those foods assist in keeping your brain healthy. It's also helpful to eat almonds and other foods with high amounts of vitamin E. People who got the most vitamin E had 60 percent less risk for Alzheimer's compared to other people.

Alzheimer's: Families face difficult health care decisions

"Everybody should be focusing on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans. When people look at vegetarians, they live longer, they have less heart disease and it looks like they have an edge in mental health, as well. There is less risk of dementia," said Barnard.

It's not just what you put in your body that can help, but also what you do with it. Barnard suggests that exercising and getting enough sleep will help keep your brain functioning by increasing the flow of oxygen.

"Researchers have shown even 30 to 40 minutes of exercise, a brisk walk three times a week, changes the brain physically,"

This info is to be shared to everyone.
I lost my father in 2008
and he had Dementia. My Mother is now dealing with memory problems. You will not be prepared until you have taken care of a love one with Dementia or
Alzheimer's. So please read the above info.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Doz
Maniac Drummer

After loosing my father to dementia. My 80 year old mom is now showing memory loss more and more each day. When you loose purpose in life and not having something to drive you each day. Sitting in front of the TV will make your body loose muscle mass. You become weak and have no drive. This is when memory loss kicks in hard.

Science is moving fast on Dementia and Alzheimer's diseases.

If your a young person seeing your parent start to look at you like who are you. Then you better get support and fast.

I am lucky to have 2 wonderful brothers to help me with our mom.

Mom went grocery shopping on a Friday night and had the shopping cart filled up to much.
The Cart fell on top of her while going to the car and broke her foot and bruised the other foot.
People saw her go down with the shopping cart and came to her rescue.
Go bless them for we do have angels on earth.

Mom broke her ankle and went to emergency room. They patch her up on a Friday night. Told her to see her doctor. Next day I go to check on Mom and find out she can not use crutches. She has No upper arm strength or balance. We go to get her a wheel chair. She can not find the prescription and it becomes an all day event. We get her a wheel chair and we take it back to her house. We begin to setup the house for wheel chair to move around safely. we tried to find a doctor on the weekend but we could not.

If you break something on Friday. Its 100% for sure you will not see a doctor without insurance.

Mom was able to see a foot doctor on Tuesday 6 days after she broke her foot. She now has a boot that has straps so she can take it off to wash her foot. She uses a pump to keep pressure on her foot.

We have setup Meal on wheels for one hot meal a day. Mom has been eating out way to much and this could be a nutrition factor in her memory issues.

Love and understanding is what she needs.

Family First

Check out something called TC-2153 that reverses the effects of Alzheimer's disease in mice. Many feel that Alzheimer's disease is not hereditary but from bacteria.
Makes sens since this disease has no age limits.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Doz
Maniac Drummer

Mom is 85% Dementia and is having a tough time with memory.

Keys to keeping Dementia and Alzheimer's at bay

1. Have a purpose (Stay working)
2. Eat healthy
3. Keep moving
4. Stay organize