Go Back   UGL - We live the Unreal Life! > Main Forums > How To Fix It

How To Fix It Place to post how to fix

Old 09-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Doz
Maniac Drummer

Default How To Make Echinacea Tincture

How To Make Echinacea Tincture

Flu season is here and this info will help you

Echinacea tincture has many uses. It is used internally to help the body fight off infection, and externally as a skin wash. Here is how to make your own echinacea tincture.

My Wife makes Echinacea tincture that I put a drop under my tong

Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 20 minutes to assemble, at least 2 weeks to steep
Here's How:

1. Fill a quart jar 2/3 full of echinacea flowers.
2. Pour 80 or 100 proof vodka over Echinacea Angustifolia Root or Echinacea Purpurea Herb, filling jar.
3. Cover jar tightly and label.
4. Steep herb for at least 2 weeks, shaking jar every day.
5. After 2 weeks, tincture can be strained if desired with cheese cloth. The finished tincture will keep indefinitely.
6. Repeat process using Echinacea roots. Combine these two finished tinctures to create a more powerful synergistic blend.
Tips:

1. Store tincture in a darkened area.Store in colored glass if possible.
2. Strain tincture through fine cheesecloth, if desired.
3. Do not use anything but glass to make your tinctures.

What You Need:

* Echinacea Angustifolia Root or Echinacea Purpurea Herb, fresh or dried
* 80 or 100 proof vodka
* Quart sized glass jar, with tight lid
* Wooden utensil to remove air bubbles with

Form my Love Pen

Making the Tincture
You can use Echinacea Angustifolia Root or Echinacea Purpurea Herb or a combination of both. The root is more expensive but you can use less, I have made tinctures with just the root and also tinctures with a combination of the two, both worked well for me.
If you are using just the root, take 4 ounces of the dried root, add to a clean sterile quart glass jar, fill the jar almost to the top with 80 or 100 proof vodka, cap tightly, label and date the jar. I use organic grape alcohol by Alchemical Solutions, which is vegan, I personally checked with the company. You can also find a list of vegan vodkas at Barnivore. Store in a cool dark place like your pantry or kitchen cupboard and shake daily for the first week, then every few days after that for about 8 weeks. If you are using the Purpurea or a combination of both, fill your jar half full with the dried herbs, then add the vodka, cap, date, etc. Use a cheesecloth to strain and bottle, a dropper bottle is most convenient. This amount will last quite a long time, so feel free to make smaller batches if you like, by adjusting the ingredients appropriately. I usually give away a few bottles too.

Dosage
“I” take a dropper full under the tongue one to three times a day as needed. This is not to be taken every single day; you only take it when you need it. I can only speak for myself, but I have been using it for so long that I just know when to start taking it and when to stop taking it. Warning-it tastes terrible and I never “get used” to the taste, I just put up with it because it works! When my husband needs to take it, he adds it to a small glass of water or juice.
If this is new for you, do your research, Google it and please consult with the herbalist where you are buying your herbs from. It is very possible that you can purchase a small dropper bottle there as well.
Please consult with your health care professional if you are taking any medications or other herbal supplements, have any illnesses or medical conditions.
Cheers to good health!

More info about Echinacea

Echinacea is a mainstay in my holistic health kit of essential remedies. I've found nothing better than echinacea extract for treating the onset of a sore throat. Also, echinacea is especially beneficial if taken at the first signs of flu and cold symptoms rather than waiting until you are in the full-bloom of the nastys. I have also found this healing herb to be a benefit to inflammatory distress.

Echinacea Purpurea, commonly known as the purple cone flower is extremely easy to grow. I have a hardy clump of purple cones growing in a small garden in my Southeastern Iowa (garden zone 4). Every part of the plant (roots, stems, folige, and blossom) have a medicinal use. All the parts of this plant can be used in teas and herbal remedies. The blossom is used in the making of flower essences. Because of its antibiotic properties I have incorporated the echinacea blossom in a special blend of flower essences I created in my healing practice labeled Exhaustion and Fatigue Formula.

A web search on the keyword Echinacea will bring you a mother-load of links, (mostly markets for Echinacea products). I stumbled upon a site that sells a type of daily supplement with Echinacea in it. I do not recommend or approve of using Echinacea in this manner. Echinacea is nature's antibiotic meant to boost your immune system. It is not intended to be taken as a constant. My recommendation is to take Echinacea for a week to ten days. After a lapse of 5-6 days if your symptoms persist then take it for a second period of 7-10 days.

I prefer the liquid tinctures that are available at natural food stores. Echinacea is also available in capsule or tablet form for anyone who cannot tolerate the somewhat unpleasant taste of echinacea extract.

Note: Using echinacea as a treatment for for anyone with compromised immune systems, such as HIV/AIDS patients has become controversial among the healing community. Although some studies have suggested that echinacea may have beneficial effects for people with AIDS/HIV, further research on the subject is needed. If you have AIDS/HIV or are a caregiver for someone with AIDS/HIV, do not initiate echinacea therapy without consulting with a qualified health provider.

Doz is offline   Reply With Quote