Forums | Albums | Social Groups

Go Back   UGL - We live the Unreal Life! > PC Support Section > Computer Help

Computer Help Computer updates and Info

Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
RSX1327
Broken String

Post The Linux Know - Try Ubuntu Without Bricking your Windows HDD

Have you ever wanted to try Linux without possibly bricking your Windows Hard Drive? - - You now can. If you follow this guide, you can make a Ubuntu bootable CD!

But first, please listen to me rant.

I am a Linux user, I believe in the power of open source software. I have been using Ubuntu for many years now, and I can truly say if I'm not at at work I am using a Linux machine. Not to mention Linux is free!

Ubuntu is an OpenSource project, and is run by a group called Canoncial; which is based out of the United Kingdom. Just like Windows, Linux has an easy to use system which usually requires next to no terminal experience (terminal is the Ubuntu factor-form of Command Prompt). Most Linux machines are virus free, this is because unlike windows; all install & execute permissions are based by the user - - often referenced as a SUDO (or, jokingly Super User DO). For those of you who are being to get the shivers from feeling nostalgic about TRON; SUDO is not a MCP. SUDO is controlled by the user and can only act upon the computer administrators password.

Linux machines do not have many background programs running, this frees up alot of volatile memory. If any of you have ever opened your active windows programs; you will see many you will not recognize. It is not like this in Linux.

Ubuntu has the best Plug n' Play support for a Linux operating system, they have been able to boast this for about five years now since switching to 6 month update periods. The current Ubuntu build is called Natty Narwhal and was released on April 30th, 2011. Ubuntu often uses a faceplate called "GNOME" which is a desktop operating environment much as a windows desktop (though, it does tend to lean towards a MAC desktop minus the annoying fish-eyed application launcher).

Ubuntu has many useful desktop programs which are updated using a repository for code-builds. Twitter streams, Facebook Chat & Updates can all be tied into your user account at computer level; which saves you time when trying to keep up with your social-network cocaine addiction. There is even an application called Pithos which allows you unlimited skips on your Pandora stream without having to pay for Pandora one.

I have shown some of the desktop applications, I have mentioned in a personal screen-shot of my Ubuntu Environment. (Ignore the Miley Cyrus song...please)

To get your Linux Live CD you need to have the following:

• A regular 700MB Blank CD
  • A computer with a 32bit or 64bit environment
You can then proceed to the Linux website where they have spelled out the rest of the instructions in plain English! Follow http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download Good luck!
RSX1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Doz
Maniac Drummer

Nice and thank you for posting the info

I like the picture

I am downloading now

Doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
RSX1327
Broken String

Good luck with that! If you have any more interest I can show you how to get the repositories so you can download some cool applications. I'm actually about to delete my windows partition on my Laptop once I get Adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop working on my Linux partition.
RSX1327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, opensource, ubuntu